Monday, February 10, 2014

Philippians 1:7a

So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart.
~Philippians 1:7a~

Homeschooling and homeschool moms have a very special place in my heart...if you haven't figured that out yet. I can talk for hours with other moms. I know most of us have basic things in common: we feel this is our calling, we want to do what's best for our children, and we all have some measure of doubt whether we're accomplishing those things.

I think the longer we homeschool, the clearer our vision becomes. We start to figure out what methods of homeschooling work best for our families. We learn what goals our children have...and help research how to meet and exceed those goals. As we learn more about our kids and our capability of teaching them, we also tend to have more questions about how to plan their remaining school years. Are they interested in pursuing a career which will require college? Are they headed for something that requires a vocational school or better yet becoming an entrepreneur? Whatever path they choose, we need to help motivate them and encourage them in their pursuit.

We need to make sure our children know they have worth and have a sense of purpose. If our relationship with our own kids is strained, we need to make it right. How do we do that? We make sure we're honest with them. We take them seriously...even when it comes to things we don't like. It makes even more of an impact if we take those things seriously BECAUSE they do. They will know we can put our own feelings aside to make them a priority. They know they're important to us if we remember the little details because God remembers the little details about us. It's especially important to build the relationships, so they feel safe in coming to us when they need guidance or just to talk. Do your children know they have a special place in your heart? Have you told them that lately?

Dear Heavenly Father~
Please help me to examine my relationships with each of my children. Bring to light any part that needs work. It can be very difficult to know how to guide them. Especially as a homeschooler, SO much of their future seems to be up to us. At times, I feel so inadequate to prepare them for whatever You have in store for them. Please help guide me in the way to make them ready for their life and service to you. I need You to help me and my kids to rely on You for the future and all that entails...for all of us.
In Your Son's Name~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment