Monday, March 3, 2014

Philippians 1:9

I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding.
~Philippians 1:9~

I think it's safe to say this verse sums up exactly what you and I want for ourselves and our children. We want our love for others to overflow so much into our kids. How do we make sure we are full of love instead of being at our wit's ends at times? Are you like me? Sometimes I don't feel like I have that much to give, but I know Who can fill me again. We need to make sure we have spent sufficient time with our Father. He fills us with love (and patience), so we can pass it along to those around us. It's only from our own resources that we can share with others...especially those closest to us. If our entire family is overflowing, His love naturally flows from our house to the world around us. Isn't that what we want? Or better yet, isn't that what He wants?

The second part of this verse is fairly easy to see how it relates to homeschooling. What does He want for our kids after His love has been planted in their hearts and lives? He wants them to “keep on growing in knowledge and understanding”. In Proverbs, we read over and over how the beginning of knowledge is the fear of the Lord. Are you making sure your children have a healthy fear or respect for the Lord? How do you help them to have that? Mainly, that comes from natural consequences...and discipline if rules are not followed. One consequence can be, if they don't finish their work, they don't get to play. You have the distinct privilege of making sure all of their work helps them to grow in knowledge and understanding. Are you yourself continuing to grow in those areas? I can assure you the day is coming when they will ask you questions to which you may not yet know the answers. You need to be in the Word daily studying for yourself what He wants you to learn, so you can pass it along to your children.


Dear Father God~
I know You love me and want the best for me...just like You do for my kids. There are days where I just don't know how You do that for all of Your children. I want You to fill me to overflowing, so I have plenty to give to my children and family. Part of loving You and my children is making sure we all continue growing in Your knowledge and understanding. I know I want to follow Your will for my life...and I want my children to learn to do the same. As we love You more, we naturally grow more and more.
Your Loving Child~ Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment